The importance of being happy and how to achieve it!
I’ve wanted to start a blog for some time but I guess I just didn’t really know where to start!
One of my biggest flaws in life is perfection, my biggest worry is that it wouldn’t be perfect. This is a set-back for many, so here I am leaning into my fear of failure and so it begins.
Here goes my first blog…….
A little about myself
Firstly, I’m not a doctor or a scientist, I don’t claim to be any sort of expert or life guru, I’m just a normal girl that has been thrown more than her fair share of obstacles in life. Because of this I have found ways to embrace them and find the positives to just keep getting back up and pushing forward.
We all have our very own obstacles in life, it’s how you deal with these that will determine wether they control you or if you are in control of them.
Owning Your Flaws
Embracing everything about yourself and not trying to keep up with societies demands will ultimately set you free and make you happy.
Take some time to yourself to reflect on some of the struggles you have faced and overcome through the years can give you that all needed boost.
I’ve had an interesting life so far with plenty more to come. I’ve picked up some little nuggets of knowledge that you may or may not find useful but I’ll share them anyway! I’ve decided to publish my first blog on international day of happiness as I resonate with this emotion deeply and would love the opportunity to help others. The reason we started this brand is to use it as a platform to help people get well so hopefully someone finds this information useful.
What is The Meaning of Happiness?
Happiness is a state of mind . According to Mahatma Gandhi
” Happiness is when, what you think, what you say and what you do are in Harmony “ Therefore, happiness is when your heart and mind are in sync. So, by keeping your mind open and learning to open your heart – beautiful things can happen.
Happiness is a thought, a feeling or emotion that is realised when your needs are met or exceeded.
Usually bringing about a feeling of joy and contentment. Happiness is not a destination it is a choice. To fully experience it one must make a constant choice daily. This can be altered by external influences such as lifestyle and environmental factors which we have the power to control but it starts within.
We are not all born happy
The ongoing studies of behavioural scientists will show that happiness is not something we are born with , it’s a choice and by no means an easy one half the time but we must remember we have the power to alter our mind set and ultimately happiness, we just have to surround ourselves with the right people and unlock the key to a positive mind set.
We must remember that
In the pursuit of the perfect happiness this can also be detrimental,”wanting to be happy can make you less happy” study researcher Iris Mauss ,an assistant professor in psychology at the university of Denver “ live science.com once said.
It’s important to live in the now and be present , when we focus so much on the future the world will pass us by.
International Day of Happiness
The United Nations created this day as a way to “recognise the importance of happiness in the lives of people around the world” launched in 2015 the 17 sustainable goals, “which seek to end poverty, reduce inequality and protect our planet- three key aspects that lead to well-being and happiness.”
UN resolution 66/281 recognizes “the pursuit of happiness as a fundamental goal” and“the relevance of happiness and well being as universal goals and aspiration in the lives of human beings around the worldthe importance of their recognition in the public policy objectives and the need for a more inclusive equitable and balanced approach to economic growth that promotes sustainable development , poverty eradication, happiness and the well being of all people”
International days are so important to help raise awareness and education around global problems and issues of concern.
See Un.org for further information or if you feel like donating to a worthy cause.
The most basic ways to create your own happiness:
These are some of the go too’s that I use on a regular basis to help create my own happiness.
Read A Book
- A saucy novel, science fiction, a gut wrenching comedy, self-awareness or self development books, however it tickles your fancy, Do It! exercise your brain and open your mind
Listen To Music
- Have you ever turned your music up full blast and just danced like an idiot !! people say dance like no one is watching I say dance like everyone is watching dance like you’ve never done before go crazy and see notice how incredible you feel after!
- Get some nice scented candles or just tea lights if that’s what you have, find some incense and treat yourself to a long hot bath and just be…..Use this time to meditate in the bath, listen to your favourite podcast, put on some nice relaxing music or sit in silence if that’s what you need, just take that time to be…
- Exercise, yoga, 20 min HIIT class (My go to until the gyms reopen)whatever it may be just move your body, a walk in nature among the trees listen to the birds sing appreciate mother nature in all her glory
Stimulate the brain and get those serotonin levels pumping.
- One of our bucket list goals this year will be taking on the Wicklow Way as soon as all the restrictions ease up.
- These are totally underrated. Get yourself down to the ocean, don’t think about how cold it is just go, get in and feel the power of the ocean, experience the healing benefits it can have on your body and your mind. A little challenge for yourself is to try and stay a little longer each time.
We’re lucky enough to live on the beautiful east coast of Ireland, Wicklow to be exact. Magheramore Beach is our secret paradise and is our favourite thing to do, hit us up if you fancy a dip.
- Your body is a Furness – fuel it with what it needs but don’t be afraid to give it what you want some times too and don’t beat your self up about it.
Food offers more than just energy and calories, it contains nutrients that have the capacity to be our most powerful medicine, how we eat is the most basic way to demonstrate self care, consuming whole real foods 80% of the time is the basis of exceptional Mind and Body health. But seriously, don’t be afraid to eat that damn doughnut!!
Drink More Water
- Your body is about 70% water, and drinking enough of it is vital for optimal health and happiness. Water plays many roles in your body, including maintaining electrolyte balance and blood pressure, lubricating joints, regulating body temperature, and promoting cell health.
While everyone knows that it’s important to stay hydrated, doing so can be difficult at times.
Contact an old friend
- Maybe someone you haven’t seen since school or just someone you’ve been out of touch or out of reach for some time , catch up, reminisce about the old times and the good times , visit old hangout spots, relive your youth , briefly!
- Take a few minutes to breathe, notice your breath, follow it. I found Box breathing was a good place to start.Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, breathe out for 4 and pause for 4 then repeat that for 4 minutes. You’ll be surprised how quickly the time passes and how amazing you feel afterwards
You don’t have to shave your head and sit under a tree or become a Buddhist monk and start levitating but I highly recommend to learn how to practice the art of mindfulness and mindlessness , there are so many useful apps available to download- I started with insight timer its worked wonders for me.. “We can live for up to 3 weeks without food, we can survive 3 to 4 days without water, we can only live for minutes without breathing” Randall a Parker Professor of biology the George Washington University
- Take time to put pen to paper, write down your thoughts or your values, write a list of your achievements so far, create a list of goals to accomplish, create some short-term and some long-term goals, something you can measure so you feel like you can accomplish something, to start it can be as easy as making your bed but at least you still achieved something in your day
Journaling can help manage stress and anxiety and also helps to recognise any fears or concerns thus providing an opportunity for positive self talk
- Be grateful for 3 things everyday , this can be as simple as closing your eyes for 1 minute or just writing it down before you get out of bed, you’ll be amazed at how your mind-set changes to help you see the beauty in everything moving forward
Stop Listening To Yourself & Start Talking To Yourself
- In 2005, the national science foundation published an article regarding research about human thoughts per day. According to this the average person has about 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts per day. Of those 80% are negative and 95% are exactly the same repetitive thoughts as the day before.
This popular 50,000 thoughts per day claim is apparently based on research performed by the National Science Foundation. Except that the research doesn’t actually exist (the MSG are a funding organisation and don’t do the search themselves) so put simply we don’t actually know how many thoughts we have each day.
So, what I have taken from this is, if only 10% of the above were close to being true, that means 5000 thoughts per day is a lot if we are thinking negatively. Find the positive thought in your head and boost your self esteem.
This is one I use often to get me through something difficult
‘I am …..your name….. and there is nothing I cannot do’
It’s not the winning, its the taking part. I held myself back for years because of this. If I didn’t think I’d win I wouldn’t try but now I’ve realised how important it is to just try, there’s so much growth in that. Never try never know and all that jazz. If the worst thing that can happen is that you were better than when you started then what have you got to lose.
Do A Good Deed
- Choose a random act of kindness
*Smile at a stranger
*Pay for a stranger’s coffee or meal
*Let someone cut in front of you in the queue
*Help carry someone’s shopping
*Offer a lift in the rain
* Or do some Volunteer/Charity work.
I probably have my friends driven mad, I’m usually looking for donations for some charitable organisation or another, it feels good to contribute to a worthy cause.
” The greatest gift you can give someone is your time because when you give your time, you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back. “ Anonymous
You never know who is standing next to you, we all have our own mountains to climb and every now and then it’s nice to get a hand up
- Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you : we don’t have long on this planet , you never know what can happen without a moments notice , don’t be afraid to tell your loved ones how you feel.
” The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot. ”
I’m not the master of happiness although it is slightly annoying for some people that that’s how I generally am, but it takes work and effort.
I’ve not worked life out yet fully but I’m thoroughly enjoying the journey and I’m not afraid.
This has been a tough year for so many, mental health issues are on the rise, we must lift each other up and push each other forward
Positivity attracts Positivity, If you can learn to implement any of these pointers into your daily routine, You’ll be surprised by the goodness that will begin to flourish
I’m stealing the words of a very inspiring friend of mine but I’m sure he won’t mind as it literally cannot be put into any simpler terms…
Be Good, Do Good, Be Happy – it’s that simple
But most importantly Be Kind
Thank you for reading 🙂